Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tandoori Tofu and Red Cabbage Slaw

I've been super busy and am only getting up my post-work travel post now.  This dish is made from stuff that I had in the fridge with no special purchases, since I was trying to use up stuff before I went to the grocery store.  It's Tandoori tofu with a random red cabbage slaw that I made up on the fly because I had some cabbage and radishes that I needed to use up.  I've made the tofu before, it's a super fast, healthy vegetarian dish.  The cabbage slaw turned out really well, I'm very proud of it!  Both of these dishes take very little time to make and are great for a work night. 






























I'm not a creamy cole slaw person, I like it more vinegary and light on the mayo.  I made a slaw a while ago that involved horseradish and loved it, so I added some to this batch, too.  It was nice and tangy and yet still went well with the yogurt sauce on the tofu.

Red Cabbage Slaw
original recipe
Serves 2

Ingredients:
About 1/2 head red cabbage, halved and thinly sliced
6 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp horseradish
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Sesame seeds
Black sesame seeds (optional)

Method:
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.  Serve.  

I didn't alter the tofu dish from the original recipe other than to make a full recipe of sauce and use a grill pan instead of a regular grill.   I pooled some extra sauce to the side of the tofu and had some in a bowl in case we wanted extra. 

Tandoori Tofu
from Eating Well
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 14 oz package firm or extra firm tofu
2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
4 or 5 scallions, thinly sliced (or some chopped cilantro, I used scallions)

Method:
1) Preheat grill/grill pan. 
2)  Make the spice oil.  Heat olive oil in a small skillet.  Add paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, and lime juice. Cook, stirring, until it sizzles, about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.
3) Prepare the tofu.  Slice the tofu crosswise into 6 slices and pat dry.  Brush each side of the tofu with the spice oil, reserving the rest for the yogurt. Sprinkle the tofu with the other 1/2 tsp salt. 
4) Cook the tofu.  Oil the grill/grill pan and cook the tofu until it has grill marks, about 2-3 minutes each side.
5) Plate the dish.  Mix the reserved spice oil with the yogurt.  Put the tofu on a plate, top with yogurt sauce, and sprinkle scallions on top.  Serve.

2 comments:

Joumana said...

Sometimes some of our best creations come out of fridge leftovers! I love cabbage, so I would devour this salad!

Scienter said...

I'll definitely make it again! I used to not want to buy red cabbage because I could never think of what to do with all of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...