Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crispy Brussels Sprouts Afelia

Some people loathe Brussels sprouts.  I love them! One of my favorite dishes at Zaytinya is the crispy brussels afelia.  It's crispy brussels sprouts with barberries and a Greek yogurt sauce. It's so good that I sometimes order two of them.  I'm that crazy person in a restaurant who orders extra Brussels sprouts. I love the crispy sprouts with the tangy, salty yogurt and tart berries. I've been dying to figure out how to make it.  So, I bought some brussels sprouts and decided to play around with them.

First of all, I had no idea what an afelia was.  According to wikipedia, it's a Cypriot dish consisting of pork marinated and cooked in red wine with coriander seed and served with bulgur and yogurt. The dish at Zaytinya doesn't taste like it contains any red wine, but there is definitely coriander.  The yogurt sauce seemed like it had garlic and was a little saltier than regular Greek yogurt. 

I decided to roast the brussels sprouts with some olive oil and ground coriander, and made a sauce of Greek yogurt, salt, garlic, and a little olive oil.  I can't get barberries, so I used some dried cranberries instead.  Although my brussels sprouts weren't quite as crispy as they are at Zaytinya, this was a pretty good facsimile of the dish! 

Isn't it pretty?  Yay Brussels sprouts!





























I ate this for lunch. It would make a great side dish for a meat course if you doubled the recipe. Aside from the cooking time, this dish is pretty quick.  The sauce is easy to make and it would be easy to let the sprouts roast in the oven while you make a main course.  

Crispy Brussels Sprouts Afelia
original recipe based on a dish from Zaytinya
Serves 1

Ingredients
~1/2 lb Brussels Sprouts
7 oz nonfat Greek yogurt
2 large cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
~1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil (maybe a little more if you want to make it more smooth) plus a little extra to toss the Brussels sprouts
1 tsp ground coriander (or more depending on taste)
a handful of dried cranberries (or barberries if you can get them)

Method
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  While the oven is heating, cut the Brussels sprouts in half and rinse them well.  Shake off as much water as you can.
2) Stir the crushed garlic, salt, and olive oil into the Greek yogurt and mix it well.  Set aside in the fridge. (Cover it with cling wrap or your fridge will smell like garlic).
3) Toss the halved Brussels sprouts with a little olive oil and ground coriander.  Place them in a roasting pan.  Roast them for 40 minutes.  I removed mine from the oven at 20 minutes to toss them.
4) To serve, put the Brussels sprouts in a bowl and top with yogurt sauce and cranberries.

5 comments:

Adam said...

Thanks so much for the recipe! We just had this dish two nights ago and LOVED it. I'll definitely be trying this at home soon.

Scienter said...

Thanks! I hope you like it!

jman1783 said...

I've been looking for this recipe for quite a while, had the Zaytinya version and have been eager to recreate it. Tried once before and it was a dismal failure. This is awesome, thanks!

Nice blog, interesting to see how other people use blogspot. You should check mine out, I'm globalgrub.blogspot.com - let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! We made it last night to accompany a Mediterranean-influenced dinner party and it was fabulous! The guests could not stop raving about the brussel spouts. We doubled the recipe and I regretted not quadrupling! Luckily, we have some fresh brussel sprouts left in the fridge and I have plenty of the yogurt sauce leftover, so I imagine we will have it again this week. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Apparently there's no garlic in the actual dish.

Another woman who has eaten it at the restaurant and also did her best to replicate the original is "horribly allergic" to garlic. (and presumably would have noticed)

http://www.imadedinner.net/2012/04/20/brussels-sprouts-afelia/

More worthy of note is a comment there from someone who got a tip from a waiter on how they get the sprouts so crisipy…

"I was at Zaytinya last week and the waiter told me that the sprouts were blanched first, then roasted-slowly with the olive oil. That is how they were so crispy open. And OMG-they were sooooo amazing!"

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...