Saturday, May 12, 2012

Ginger Carrot Soup

I'm a bit of a computer game addict, and Diablo III came out last Tuesday.  As a result, most of my meals have been either take out sushi or something I can make really fast so I can spend more time sitting in my dimly lit computer room punching demons in the face.  The meals I make when I'm in game addict mode don't make very good blog fodder since most of my fastest recipes are old ones that I've been making forever.  But, I managed to try a few new things, including this ginger carrot soup.  It's healthy, quick, and very tasty! If you make this soup, I definitely recommend an immersion blender, it makes it a lot easier. It's a creamy, slightly sweet soup with a small kick of ginger. It's vegetarian and vegan. It's also a pretty color and tastes like it takes a lot more work to make than it really does.

Definitely break up the orange with something green like a mint sprig and serve with a side salad.

Ginger Carrot Soup
From Williams Sonoma Soup
Serves 2

Ingredients
1.5 Tbsp olive oil
1 leek, thinly sliced (include tender green bits)
3 carrots (1/2 lb), peeled and thinly sliced
1 small red potato (about 1/4 lb), peeled and coarsely diced
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2.5 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp orange zest (I used the zest from 1/2 an orange)
salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste (black pepper is also ok)
Thin orange slices for garnish
Fresh mint sprigs for garnish

Method
1) In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the leek until it's softened, about 3 minutes.  Then add the carrots, potato, and ginger and saute until the vegetables are softened, about 5 more minutes.
2) Add the vegetable stock.  Partially cover the pan and simmer until the vegetables are soft enough to be pureed by an immersion blender or regular blender.  About 20 minutes.  Remove the pan from the heat.
3) In a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is the desired texture.  Then reheat the soup over medium heat.  Stir in the orange juice and zest.  Season with salt and pepper.
4) Serve in bowls with a side salad.

2 comments:

Nona Belgian said...

Hi. I'm a huge fan of your recipes and a huge admirer of your plates. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them?

Scienter said...

Thanks! They're Villeroy and Boch "Urban Nature." I got most of the pieces at Macy's:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/villeroy-boch-urban-nature-dinnerware-collection?ID=331969
Some of the more unusual plates I special ordered from V&B, but most can be bought at Macy's or other dept. stores.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...